Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Anatomy of a Deadly Observation

Six billion souls....


Six billion lives....

How are we still here?  Hurricane Katrina.  BP Oil Spill.  2004 Tsunami.  9/11.  The War in Iraq, soon to be Iran.  Cholera outbreak 2010.  Somalia.  Darfur.  

That is just a sample of the worldwide epidemic that we face.  The epidemic that I speak of is death. Today, I suddenly remembered the statistic that there are six billion people with whom I share oxygen with everyday; there are six billion mortals with whom I can blame global warming on.  I'm not even counting the trillions of other creepy, crawly organisms out there.  But what I'm wondering is how there are still so many of us.

I turn on CNN and five people are dead in a car bombing in Iraq.  I happen to watch the news every once and a while and each time there is a deadly car crash where multiple people lose their lives.  I'm not even counting the aforementioned disasters.  So with all of the seemingly endless death and destruction in our midst, how does the global population continue to grow?

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the concept of birth and death rate, but how come there aren't any stories about hundreds of babies being born in a day.  Or here's a better idea, show good, happy, stories during the news.  I'm not callous but I don't necessarily want to come home and turn on the Morbid hour.  Life isn't a fruity pebble, no.  But life also isn't a plate of cyanide waffles either.  

So back to my original question...

If thousands of people of dying every day from terrorists attacks, natural disasters, roller coasters, giving birth, old age, sickness and other natural causes, then how do we continue to replenish our ranks.   It seems as if we are declining, but I guess I will have to have faith that a lot of you out there are taking the Bible to heart.  Boom baby boom.  

Toot-a-loo, 

Lord Evan Burwell

No comments:

Post a Comment