Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Fifth Grade Book Report

Somewhere, on some book written by Clive Cussler, there is a quote.  “A book by Clive Cussler is like a visit from you best friend.”  While reading my favorite authors, that quote couldn’t be closer to the truth.  Every page I turn, every scene I become enraptured in, and every character I become enamored with feels like it is part of me.  At the end of every novel by the favored “half dozen” I become desolate and melancholic that the journey has ended.  I spend the rest of the day thinking about the characters, imagining the way they made and broke bonds, what new traits they possess after the novel, and thinking about the next novel and what I can expect.  The reverie is interrupted when I must continue to live in reality and not another, more welcoming reality created by the “half dozen”. 

But as each great novel comes to an end, there is always that next novel that can make my heart beat with renewed literary vigor once more.  And though The Doomsday Key by James Rollins was a wild, rump stinging ride though history, religion and espionage, I am not comforted in my thought that a new novel from the “half dozen” will infiltrate my hands and fill my nostrils with the sharp sweetly pungent odor of fresh paperback paper.  As I listen to the spine crack and break, I can already hear the characters waiting to be read, itching to start there adventure.  And that feeling is one of the greatest feelings on this Earth.  It’s no wonder that the written word has been crafted and cast into dozens of art forms from poetry, screenplays, plays, novels, codices, magazines, etcetera.  It moves us into living, something that we must do if we are to survive life.  Commander Gray Pierce can attest to that.  

Jesus Speed, 

Lord Evan Burwell

P.S.  Mileage since last posting:  4.58

No comments:

Post a Comment